Both dry skin and sunburn are pretty unpleasant skin conditions, as anyone who has experienced them knows!
The good news is that using moisturizers and sunscreens can help prevent and treat them. But how much do you really know about these essential skincare products?
Here are 10 interesting facts about moisturizer and sunscreen.
- According to Harvard Health, for our skin to feel smooth, the stratum corneum (outermost layer) must contain at least 10% water, preferably more. Without adequate water, the skin’s outer layer becomes full of cracks. Overly-dry skin may also become red and itchy.
- Moisturizers work by replacing water, not oil. However oily substances (occlusives) are added to moisturizing creams to prevent water evaporation and to help the skin hold water in.
- Humectants are often added to moisturizers to attract water from the air to the skin.
- Emollients in moisturizers are substances that make the skin feel smooth and supple.
- Some moisturizers also contain vitamins, and some contain menthol to cool the skin and reduce itching.
- Sunscreens come in two types – sunlight reflectants such as zinc creams, and UV absorbers which become ‘invisible’ when applied.
- Broad-spectrum sunscreens protect against both UVB (short-wave) and UVA (long-wave) rays, both of which can cause skin damage.
- According to the Better Health Channel, using sunscreen can help prevent the development of skin cancers.
- Sunscreens help prevent the development of photosensitive disorders, such as photoallergies (reactions to certain drugs following UV exposure) and phototoxicities (skin damage from drugs activated by sunlight exposure).
- Regular use of sunscreens can help prevent or reduce skin ageing.
Are you looking for a quality moisturizer and sunscreen?
HydroPeptide’s moisturizers utilise peptides (short-chain proteins) to work from within the skin to help reverse aged cellular states and improve skin health. This includes stimulating collagen production and relaxing fine lines and wrinkles.
A moisturizer such as HydroPeptide’s Solar Defense Tinted or Untinted Face Guard can help provide sun protection and moisturize the skin at the same time, providing the benefits of both treatments in the one product.